Sunday, March 14, 2010

Back Home After Operation Waltzing Matilda

I just sat down and viewed the video of the destruction of the Ady Gil by the whale poaching vessel Shonan Maru 2. I’m quite surprised nobody was killed after such a violent collision. The Ady Gil crew must have thought their life was in serious danger.

I know--I should have been writing this more than two months ago, but I was on the crew of the Sea Shepherd ships Steve Irwin and Bob Barker until March 6th. After vegetating at some friends home in Hobart (thanks guys) I did not pay attention to any news. My goal was to change my flight to get me home earlier. I flew home on Friday and spent the weekend with my wife.

It’s only now that I checked out one of the most popular videos on the internet.

The destruction of the Ady Gil demonstrates that governments do not care about whales or their protectors. If we had sunk a whaling ship then we’d be all in jail right now. Maybe we should do that next year to see if they have the same reaction.

After 90 days at sea, I’m rather worn down. There is a demonstration against the Canadian seal slaughter, who’s sales barely broke one million dollars last season. We spent more than that on fuel for our ships this year. The government subsidises the slaughter to the tune of 12 million per year--which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. This seal slaughter is fighting it’s inevitable death as we put the final nail in it’s coffin.

I’ve been to the hunt twice and I don’t know if I can handle another season. I’ll do my part at the protest tomorrow.

I want to thank all of the crew members of the Ady Gil, Bob Barker and Steve Irwin for taking the time to defend the whales this year. I think we may have saved more than five hundred from the harpoon. There’s not a better group of rag-tag sailors I’d rather spend 90 days with in the Southern Indian ocean. You guys are in my heart forever.

David Nickarz
March 14, 2010

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well done David. Thanks