Tuesday, December 18, 2007

My Buy Nothing Christmas

By David Nickarz

My feelings around christmas are mixed. I was raised in the Anglican church and was never indoctrinated into the Christian faith. I left the church when I was 17.

In our family, chrismas was about getting together with family and buying copious quantities of gifts. I appreciated the family gathering but the gift side of things was a chore. When I became old enough to start buying gifts I began to feel the anxiety. I was worried about who to buy for. My immediate family was a given. What about cousins, or close friends? How much money did I have to spend?

I certainly didn’t have any money left over after the big day.

It took me a number of years, but I have come to not participate in the commercial aspect of Christmas. I will not buy any gifts and will not accept any. If I do get any then I will donate them to an appropriate charity.

What’s your plan for this Christmas?

1 comment:

Chris Bloom said...

Hi David - I too try to celebrate an anti-commercial Christmas. This usually means we get one or two small gifts for our own kids, and our nieces and nephews. But for my immediate family, at least on my mother's side, we schedule a family outing - this year we're going to see Bill Cosby.

BTW, I noticed on your My Space page that you describe yourself as both a sailor and a vegan. I am a vegetarian getting ready to step into the world of sailing, and I wonder if you know of any good resources for buying "vegan" sailing equipment like deck shoes, gloves, etc. Feel free to contact me directly at [chrisbloom7 at gmail dot com]